When I turned 21, the doors to a magical kingdom of fun and play opened. Who knew a glass of wine or a beer could make everything so much more fun?
You know those commercials for Spec’s about the “shock” that people go through when they visit the store? That’s literally how I felt when I stepped inside for the first time. My eyes sparkled like a kid’s in a candy shop when I saw the aisles upon aisles of every type of alcohol imaginable, in all the different colors and flavors and with all their pretty labels. Oh, adulthood.
This New Year’s Eve, whether you will be sipping on champagne or partying like it’s 1999 (or rightfully 2011, if you think the world will end next year), be sure to check out the many Texas (and Austin) made liquor delights. Since the new millenium, the number of Texas owned distilleries has risen dramatically, and many of their products have already become wildly successful for their quality and taste.
Texas Made Spirits
*= made in Austin
- Tito’s Vodka* (Tito’s won the Double Gold Medal for vodka and 4 stars from the Spirit Journal twice.) [My favorite!]
- Savvy Vodka*
- Deep Eddy Vodka & Sweet Tea Vodka* (Deep Eddy vodka is made by the founders of Savvy and Sweat Leaf Tea.) [My other favorite!]
- Dripping Springs Vodka
- Enchanted Rock Vodka
- Cinco Vodka
- Rebecca’s Creek Whiskey
- Balcones Baby Blue & True Blue Whiskey
- Garrison Brother’s Bourbon Whiskey
- Ranger Creek Whiskey
- Balcones Rumble Rum
- Treaty Oak Platinum Rum*
- Railean Rum
- Spirit of Texas Pecan Street Rum
- Paula’s Texas Orange & Texas Lemon*
- Railean Blue Agave Spirit
- ROXOR Artisan Gin (Triple Gold Medal – Micro-Spirits Competition 2011)
Let me know about your experiences with these spirits or if I have left any good ones out.
I wish everyone a safe and happy New Year!