I hope you all had a great start to the new year.
My first new year’s resolution is to Keep Austin Weird (aka support local businesses). In order to help myself, I’ve finally bought myself the Go Local card, which costs $10. When I flash this baby at participating local stops around town, I’ll get sweet discounts and deals, just for going local. Most places offer a 10% discount on goods and services, which will definitely pay for the card several times over.
Why shop local? You can visit the site above to see their reasons, but really I love to shop local because I’m supporting businesses that sell products I can’t find anywhere else. And now, on top of that, I’ll be getting great discounts.
Have I convinced y’all to join me yet? Here are some great Austin businesses I love to frequent and will now save at every time I visit:
- Kerbey Lane Cafe (10% discount) with the amount of times I eat at KLC alone I can offset the cost of the card without visiting any place else!
- Galaxy Cafe (Free drink with entree or free dessert with $25 purchase) This place has the great sweet potato fries and offers many gluten free options.
- Torchy’s Tacos ( 10% discount) enough said.
- Arab Cowboy Cafe (10% discount) a hip hookah lounge situated in the heart of West Campus with good quality shisha.
- Austin Children’s Museum (2 for 1 admission) Great place to take your Little (if you are in Big Brothers Big Sisters), kid, younger sibling, or babysat sack of kids.
- Blanton Museum of Art ($1 off admission) This museum just had an exhibition of impressionist paintings, including some by Monet.
- Alamo Drafthouse (10% off food) I love catching a flick here and munching on some high quality chicken tenders.
- Highland Lanes ($2 off per person) Bowling!
- Cornucopia (free kids bag with purchase) This place sells savory and sweet popcorn, great for gifts or office parties.
- Cupprimo Cupcakery ($5 off one dozen cupcakes) Every now and then I’ll buy a dozen cupcakes and surprise my coworkers with them. They love me.
- Halcyon Coffee Bar (10% off food) One of my friends showed me this hidden gem – coffee shop by day, bar by night. It’s like the superman version of Starbucks.
- Clay Pit (10% off food) High quality Indian food. Mmm. If only Gina were here!
- Terraburger (10% off combo) This place has the best milkshakes, and all natural and organic to boot.
- Book People (free tea/coffee with book purchase) I’ve made many memories here when I was young, sneaking off into the children’s carpeted covered playscape thing to snuggle up with a book or two. I felt like the nerd version of Indiana Jones.
- Toy Joy (10% off purchase, free vegan ice cream) Giant sticker collection! Awesome trinkets and toys you can’t find anywhere else! Bubble tea!
- Cream Vintage ( 25% off purchase of $25, or free $5 alteration) Like Goodwill, but better.
- Countryside Nursery (10% discount) I’ve been meaning to start my own herb garden…
- H2O Car Wash ($3 off carwash and 15% off detail) And I do need a carwash. This place has a great waiting lounge.
What is your favorite Austin business?